Volunteers assist patrons with general tournament information including pricing, location and seating information. Ambassadors are positioned near each box office/gate entry and at Stadium 2 entries to answer patron questions upon entering the grounds or arriving at the ticket sales windows. Good people skills are required. Detailed stadium and tournament grounds knowledge is required. Strong knowledge of general tournament information is very helpful. “Rovers” walk the grounds offering directions, information and assistance or escort, if necessary, to patrons.
Ball Kid Coordinators
Ball Kid Coordinators are responsible for recruiting, training, scheduling, supervising more than 300 ball kids during tryouts, qualifying rounds and the tournament. Pre-tournament training and orientation sessions are mandatory. Training sessions will take place late January or early February. Knowledge of the sport is required.
Club Suites volunteers act as host/hostess in the Stadium club suites. If you are a gracious host or hostess and enjoy working with people you will enjoy being on this committee.
Volunteers organize and distribute all of the official tournament credentials and scan these credentials at public entrances to the grounds. This committee starts a full week before the tournament begins. This area is the first stop for Tournament sponsors, VIP guests, media, vendors and the players. If you enjoy a fast-paced environment and have excellent people skills, you’ll love this committee.
This committee controls access to the grounds at three different gates. These volunteers make the first and last impression that the tournament’s patrons and participants remember. They scan tickets for patrons, players and guests. This is a great way to meet and see patrons, sponsors etc. from all over the world.
These volunteers organize all tournament, Indian Wells Tennis Garden and Coachella Valley information in order to be the most informative to all guests with their inquiries. Stationed throughout the site, volunteers market and sell tournament programs and daily draw sheets. Good people, sales and money handling skills are needed.
Volunteers are needed to operate the electronic scoreboards and assist Flight Scope with scoring needs. A good knowledge of tennis and good hearing and vision are necessary. Volunteers will be interviewed before acceptance to this committee.
Volunteers assist the Media Director and the Media staff in compiling event information electronically, maintaining a professional work environment for media. Computer and digital expertise required.
Volunteers assist players with golf coupons and tee times. They also provide local restaurant information and activities. Foreign language skills are appreciated. Volunteers interact with reservations, player check-in and player tickets.
Volunteers assist all players and personnel authorized in the Player’s area with various requests including player tickets. Volunteers work closely with Box Office to place tickets in Will Call and assist in maintaining records.
Volunteers assist Classic Series patrons in the renewal of their seats and take new orders for the following year’s event. This process requires knowledge of the stadium and various seating and pricing categories. Good people skills are required and sales experience is helpful. Computer skills are desirable. Training for all the required transactions and administrative processes will be provided.
These volunteers assist other volunteers by providing shuttle transportation to and from the volunteer parking. All volunteers must have golf cart/shuttle-driving experience. Drivers must have a valid driver’s license.
These volunteers assist the event promotions department who oversee all special events, promotions, gifting, decorating, gate giveaways and more! Being creative and flexible is appreciated.
The Transportation Committee is responsible for providing transportation for all players, coaches, staff from the ATP or WTA, VIPs, umpires, and the media to and from the airport, hotels, and the tournament site as needed. Drivers should have good working knowledge of the area and routes to local airports and venues.
Volunteers check tickets and direct ticket holders to their seats at all stadium courts. This can be demanding on the feet and there can be a lot of sun exposure. Ushers are also responsible for patron access into Stadiums 1-9, checking all tickets and credentials.
Volunteers must be multi-tasked and personable. Volunteers oversee the Volunteer Center lounge, keeping the area and tables clean, distributing radios, information to volunteers and staffing gate giveaways. They provide support to volunteers with comments, suggestions or complaints and act as liaison to the Director of Volunteers.
Volunteer your time and be a part of the BNP Paribas Open, the largest combined ATP World Tour and WTA tennis tournament in the world. Each year the Champions Volunteer Foundation recruits more than 1,200 individuals, from both our local community and beyond, to volunteer and support the event. With a variety of committee positions available, there is an opportunity for every kind of volunteer. Make new friends, watch incredible tennis and be a part of the most exciting two weeks in Tennis Paradise!
Volunteers are asked to commit to a minimum of 48 hours of service during the tournament, from Monday, March 4 to Sunday, March 17. For security purposes, volunteers need to be photographed for identification as well as sign a waiver and release.
Note: Committee descriptions are subject to change.
- Official BNP Paribas Open tournament uniform and program
- Two complimentary BNP Paribas Open grounds passes for the entire tournament
- Autograph sessions with ATP World Tour and WTA Players
- Annual BNP Paribas Open Ball Kid welcome party
- BNP Paribas Open Certificate of Participation
The following are requirements for all returning Ball Kids:
- Download the training manual and successfully pass the Ball Kid quiz. (Quiz log-in information will be sent once your application is received)
- Be physically able to perform 2-hour sessions on court with one-hour rest between sessions.
- Participate and complete the Training Session Requirements listed below. Please note that you must receive “Tournament Ready” status in order to participate in the BNP Paribas Open.
- Commit to a minimum of five (5) sessions during tournament. Three (3) of these must be on each of the following days: Monday, March 4; Tuesday, March 5; and Wednesday, March 6.
- Attend one (1) Uniform Distribution/Orientation session on either Saturday, March 2 or Sunday, March 3 at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden.
How to sign up
- Fill out an online BNP Paribas Open Ball Kid Application.
- Download, read, sign and return the Ball Kid Permission Waiver, Code of Conduct and Ball Kid Acknowledgment forms. You must return these forms before you are able to select training sessions or tournament shifts. The forms are fillable on-line, however they MUST be printed out and signed before returning them to us. Minors (under 18) must have a parent sign the waiver while those over 18 may sign their own. Please return the forms via email to [email protected]om or by USPS to:
BNP Paribas Open Ball Kids
78-200 Miles Ave.
Indian Wells, CA 92210
- Download, print and study the 2019 BNP Paribas Open Ball Kid Training Manual. This will have all the information necessary to pass the online assessment. You will receive an email providing information on how to access and complete the online assessment (Ball Kid Quiz) within 5-7 days of receiving your completed application.
- Once you pass the online assessment and return the required signed forms listed in # 2 above, we will add you to the 2019 BNPPO teams on Shiftboard allowing you to sign up for training sessions and tournament shifts. Please do not create a new account – use your old user name and password!
- Please contact [email protected] with any questions regarding our policies on shift schedules, chaperones or training requirements.
2019 Training Session Schedule & Requirements
All Returning Ball Kids must receive ‘Tournament Ready’ status by participating in one of the following:
Complete Multiple Training Sessions at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden:
- Returning Ball Kids with two years or less experience are required to attend a minimum of four (4) training sessions.*
- Returning Ball Kids with more than two years’ experience require a minimum of two (2) training sessions.*
* The number of training sessions listed are the minimum necessary. You may need to attend more in order to receive “Tournament Ready” status by a Ball Kid Chairperson.
We strongly recommend choosing early dates to ensure you get all of the training you need. This allows you to sign up for later dates should you need to cancel a session or add additional training. Please watch all Training Videos prior to attending your first training session.
Indian Wells Tennis Garden Training Dates (all times are 2:00pm – 4:30pm):
- Saturday, January 5
- Sunday, January 6
- Saturday, January 12
- Sunday, January 13
- Saturday, January 26
- Sunday, January 27
- Friday, February 1
- Saturday, February 2
- Attend a weekend Boot Camp** at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden. Boot Camp is only available for out of state/country applicants or by special request.
- 2019 Boot Camp is Saturday/Sunday, January 19 & 20, 2019. Hours are 10:00am-12:30pm and 2:00pm-4:30pm both days.
- To apply for Boot Camp, please email [email protected] after you have submitted your application and completed all necessary requirements, listed in “How to Sign Up” # 2 above.
- Please watch all Training Videos prior to attending your first training session.
** Attending Boot Camp does not guarantee ‘Tournament Ready’ status. Ball Kid Chairs will help you schedule additional training sessions should they be required.
Out-of-town Ball Kid Applicants
Out-of-town Ball Kid Applicants:
- Attend training sessions at one of the approved training sites listed below and receive ‘Tournament Ready’ status by the Off-Site Coordinator to participate in the BNPPO.
- Ball Kids with two years or less experience are required to attend a minimum of four (4) training sessions.***
- Returning Ball Kids with more than two years’ experience are required to attend a minimum of two (2) training sessions.***
*** The number of training sessions listed are the minimum necessary. You may need to attend more in order to receive “Tournament Ready” status by a Ball Kid Chairperson.
Approved Off-Site Training Locations
- Portola Valley, CA
- San Diego, CA
- Denver, CO
- Santa Barbara, CA
- Idaho Falls, ID
- Tempe, AZ
- Salt Lake City, UT
- Thousand Oaks, CA
Off-site training dates are different than Indian Wells. Training dates will be listed on Shiftboard once confirmed.
Become a part of the BNP Paribas Open by training to be one of our amazing Ball Kids!
Be a part of the BNP Paribas Open as one of our amazing Ball Kids! Share the same court with top players and defending champions like Juan Martin Del Potro, Naomi Osaka, Roger Federer, Serena Williams, Rafael Nadal and Maria Sharapova. Additional benefits include:
Welcome back to all of our returning Ball Kids! We are so glad you are signing up to be part of the 2019 BNP Paribas Open. You already know what to expect and have the skills necessary to be successful. Our goal is to help you improve those skills even more so we can receive high marks from both the ATP and WTA Tours for our ball kid program.